Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 67 - Grimsey

Up early and ate some skyr for breakfast before driving up north to Dalvik to catch the ferry to Grimsey -- a tiny island that's main claim to fame is that the Arctic Circle runs through it (though it has many other cool things too: puffins and a vast history of chess to name a couple).

On the ferry!
We should have been wary when the ferry ticket salesman asked if we really wanted to go and that "he wouldn't go out today" if it was up to him.  Bah!  And I though Icelanders were tough!  We bought our tickets and boarded the ferry.  Once the ride started they handed out little barf bags.  Bah!  We won't be needing those, but I politely took them anyhow.  We were so smart and took our seasick medicine, now we're invincible!  Then the seas got rougher.  And rougher.  Then the guys nearby started puking.  Then I almost puked, but held it back... barely.   Then we doubled up on the seasickness medicine.  By then everyone was puking.  Char joined in and the room was a horrible mess of people puking almost continuously for the rest of the ride.

"Don't worry, it's only a 3-hour ride, we're almost there" I say trying to be comforting, unable to do much else since if I stopped staring at the horizon my own queasiness would reach unhappy levels.  Unfortunately I was wrong on that particular statement.  Due to the rough weather the ride took 4-stomach-wrenching hours.

Puffins and other sea birds below!
Eventually we made it and went to the restaurant to get some warm drinks and settle down.  After that we only had 2.5 hours to explore so we headed south down the road.  We saw puffins (yay!), a cute old church, a lighthouse, and many nice views.  It was very windy and got a bit chilly on the walk, so we took refuge in the restaurant again and wrote some postcards.

Chessboard, but no players.
With much trepidation we all boarded the ferry for the ride back, but luckily it was a pleasant ride back (we were going with the wind this time).

No comments:

Post a Comment